A few scenes from our Forge of Fury session today at The Mountain Door. Cool planked bridge is by the Miniature Building Authority. Rest of terrain is largely a mix of old and new Dwarven Forge with a smattering of Hirst Arts tiles. Pig Faced Orcs are from Other World miniatures – Character figures are mostly Reaper – the Dwarf is an old Citadel model.
I have run the Sunless Citadel by Bruce R. Cordell a few times. It was the module that launched 3rd edition D&D and was recently converted to 5th edition in Tales from the Yawning Portal. It is fun dungeon crawl and I recommend it highly. However, there are a few parts of the dungeon that are difficult to represent with Master Maze. I decided to use my Hirst Arts molds to create some practical pieces to fill a few voids in the Dwarven Forge stuff.
Here is one of the problematic rooms (#20):
Sorry, for the blurry map picture, but it gives you an idea of the problem. That big semi-circular part of the room is tough to represent. I have used the older resin cavern curve pieces in the past, but this really was not satisfactory. So using Bruce Hirst’s 8″ circular tower field stone mold, I made these:
Here is room 20 using these new tiles:
The paint scheme is much darker than the old Master Maze, but it is much closer to the newer Dwarvenite. The picture below is a comparison with the newer stuff:
Not perfect, but there is a wide variation in the Dwarven Forge paint schemes too, and it certainly looks decent on the table. The piece was built on a piece of cheap vinyl tile and I gave it a felt backing:
The room’s dimension’s do not exactly match my build. My build is 40 scale feet across and the map depicts a room 45 scale feet across. I could insert a few 5 feet pieces to match, but I wanted a practical piece I could use in lots of dungeons.
These pieces will also serve as the basis for building some of those darn circular rooms that dungeon designers seem to insist on using.
Slow, but steady progress on the townhouse. First a shot of the ground floor tiles.
The blue area in the middle of the light gray hall is a reflecting pool.
Here is a shot with roughed in interior walls to give a sense of the room layout of the ground floor.
The townhouse is designed to be the home of a bourgeoisie, new-rich, merchant – so it is going to be a bit gawdy. I’ve got some challenges with the upper story and roof, but I am going to start detailing the interior walls before tackling those.
This weekend I started working on creating a townhouse for my Bruckburg. I cast pieces from some of my new Hirst Arts molds and set up the ground level.
On the left side of the photo you can see the ground level floor tiles. The Hirst Arts pieces on the right are arrayed on double-sided tape on cardboard pieces. These will be spray painted black and dry-brushed up to appear as wood. Pre-painting these pieces before construction will save me time in the long run.
The Town House will be two levels with a dormer out the back of the top story. The walls will be constructed out of foam core board. The ground level floor [pictured above] is glued to a piece of vinyl tile. The second floor will be glued to foam core board. The interior walls will be made out of foam core board. My current plan is to have the interior walls removable by slotting and gluing the interior walls together.
I just got my shipment of new Hirst Arts Molds in and I cannot wait to start casting!
Mold 227 Tavern Window and Door, Mold 245 Slate Shingle Roof, Mold 262 Rubble Slab, Mold 263 Rubble Block, and Mold 264 Rubble Floor Tile.
I fill the molds with dental plaster and after they dry I have modelling bits to build all kinds of things. I love Hirst Arts Molds and have built up a fair collection over the years.
In the mid 1990s I was casting figures and models using RTV Rubber. Then I had the idea to build castle walls and cast them in pieces. I experimented with it off and on for a couple of years, but I could never get the blocks precise enough to work well together. Whereever my pieces came together there was a huge seam. Then in the late 1990s I found Bruce Hirst’s site – Castlemolds. He had the same idea, but his execution was so much superior to mine, and to my delight he was selling RTV molds, not the bricks from the molds. The red molds in the picture above are some of the early molds I purchased. The white powder in some of the molds is talc used to keep the molds from sticking when stored.
Bruce Hirst is a quality model artist and his site Hirst Arts is well worth a look.
These new molds I purchased are perfect for making lots of new molds for my Brucksburg campaign.